City of PETERSBURG
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUESTS
The City of Petersburg supports the policy of providing access to public records maintained by the City.
FOIA Officer: Ken Ortman, City Clerk
The following instructions will guide you in filing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the City of Petersburg.
HOW YOU CAN REQUEST PUBLIC RECORDS:
1. Make your request in writing. The City cannot require you to use a specific form for your request. You may submit your request by mail, fax or email. Direct your request to:
122 S. Sixth Street
Petersburg, IL 62675
2. BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE.
3. Provide the following information in your request:
• Name, address, telephone number and email if possible;
• Description of records, be as specific as possible; and
• If the request is for copies, or inspection of records.
4. The FOIA allows you to inspect or receive copies of records.
5. There is no charge up to 50 pages of requested records (standard letter size). After that, there will be a charge of .15 cents per page.
6. You are permitted to ask for a waiver of the copying fees. You must state the request for a waiver of fees in your FOIA request, and include a specific reason why the requested information is in the public interest, not your personal interest, and therefore, merits such a waiver.
HOW THE CITY WILL RESPOND:
The City must respond in 5 business days after the request is received. The 5 days start on the first business day after the request is received. The City may extend the time to respond an additional 5 days if the requested information:
• Is stored at a different location
• Requires an extensive search
• Involves a substantial number of records
• Needs reviewed by an appropriate person to determine if the requested records are exempt
• Cannot be produced without unduly burdening the City or interfering with its operation
The City must notify the requestor within 5 business days, if additional time is needed, the reason for the additional time and when it will be provided.
If the City has not responded to the request within 5 business days then the request is considered denied. If your request has been denied you may appeal the denial to the Attorney General’s Public Access Bureau (PAC).
Public Access Counselor
Office of the Attorney General
500 S. Second Street
Springfield, IL 62706
FOIA Request Form
Click here For Form
FOIA Denial Form
Click here For Form
Member of: Petersburg Chamber of Commerce
For Area Information
Visit the Petersburg Chamber of Commerce Website
MENARD COUNTY TOURISM INFORMATION
Please visit the Menard County Area Events website for Current and Future Events !
Click here for more details.